Friday, October 30, 2009

Our days at the UN


I (Erica) am spending most of my time at the UN complex (check out the walkway of country flags - I love it). It takes me about 15 or 20 minutes to get from the entrance gate to my office! I'm working on project development for Global Environmental Outlook 5 (for those that are interested.....http://www.unep.org/geo/). I am also supposed to help develop 3 other projects while I'm here (one on thematic assessments for regions, one on hazardous substances, and one on resource efficiency). I am working with people from all over the place which is really fun. I love walking down halls and looking at all the different names on people's doors. Of course, as with any place, there is too much to do, not enough time or resources and plenty of internal personality struggles but I find the whole thing to be fascinating. I've figured out (I think) what exactly my assignment is and am making slow but steady progress.

The kids and Ben hang out there a lot too. There is a nice cafe that overlooks the pool and makes great coffee drinks. No swimming yet but we'll try this weekend. There are lots of fishponds, lawns, and walkways on campus and Ben is quickly learning the compound and all of its fun little places. They went on a flower hunt a few days ago and have also had fun checking out birds, monkeys and fish around the campus. Tomorrow is Halloween but we are going to go to the Nairobi Game Park and see animals in the 'wild'. No one really celebrates Halloween here but I've got Grayson's dragon costume and Dylan's skeleton onesie just in case!

No comments:

Post a Comment